Guest bloggers are invited to contribute to this blog.
Posts submitted should be 150~600 words, image optional, links as appropriate.

15 April 2012

Vegetarianism: I don't eat meat & I don't like fish

This post is a suggestion of non-meat, non-fish, non-quorn and non-processed food ideas. 

My issue with meat is that I don't like the fleshy texture therefore I don't want a pretend meat substitute. My issue with fish is mainly the taste. Having said that, I try to eat it once a week for the benefits that nutritionists believe in. My third issue is processed food - whatever I eat, I like it to taste fresh! I also choose food that I like the flavour of, however 'bland', because if all you can taste is chilli or ketchup or sugar, etc., what's the point?

My favourite protein-based ingredients are nuts, mushrooms, lentils and beans which go very well with potatoes, vegetable and onion gravy for a Sunday roast. I must admit to getting annoyed with pub menus that don't take into account that cheesy tomato tart or lasagne are not ideal plate-mates for roast potatoes, Yorkshire pudding and (vegetarian) gravy.

Where nuts are a no-no in the kitchens of nut-allergy diners, they can be substituted by beans or chickpeas. Otherwise, whole cashews are a favourite but other nuts need to be smaller. I usually slice Brazil nuts, almonds, walnuts and chestnuts.

Links to Veggie-roast Recipes

Lentil & Cashew Nut Roast
Easy Bean & Nut Roast
Simple Nut Roast
Cashew Nut Roast in Puff Pastry
Lentil & Nut Roast (cheese may be omitted)

As an accompaniment to leftover-turkey-curry at Christmas, I like to offer a fruity korma. Its basic ingredients are: caramelised onion, sweet potato, parsnip, chestnuts, banana, raisins and coconut milk. Add anything else you wish: carrots, beans, broccoli, etc.

Acknowledgement. Not all vegetarians have the same reassons for not eating meat so don't make assumptions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to add your comment